Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Noodle Kugel

I damn well know it's not the season to be making noodle kugel. And I really don't have an excuse either except for the fact that I'm down here in Delray, FL with my 80 year old grandma. By the time it was noon, we had made noodle kugel, a sponge cake and a meatloaf. And you know what the best part of cooking with my gam gam was? She wanted to clean everything.

I'm sitting here watching the 40 most scandalous celebrity breakups but things weren't always this dull. Just this morning, my grandma blew two red lights and was driving 85 mph in a parking lot. I can't decide which is better; my grandma going 85 in a parking lot or yesterday my grandpa going 45 on the Florida Turnpike......so much time, so little to ponder.

I made a noodle kugel once and it was ok. But today, my Gam Gam took my hand and showed me the way. Look out all you hunky jewish men, sassy knows how to make a kugel a real good kugel. Your Rosh Hashanah will never be the same ;)

Ingredients:
1 stick of butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup of sugar
4 eggs
1 cup of sour cream
12 oz egg noodles
2 cups milk
1 grated apple
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1½ cup of cornflakes
2 tbs some of that melted butter
¼ tps cinnamon
1 tbs sugar

***when the butter is melted save half for the bottom of the pyrex glass, 2 tbs for the topping and the rest for the mixture.

Steps:
1. Using a pyrex 9x13 dish, melt a stick of butter in the oven at 300 degrees.
2. Don't let the butter burn and after you take the dish of melted butter out, turn the oven up to 350.
3. Start boiling water. We used a little vegetable oil to make sure the noodles wouldn't stick. Once the water is boiling, add the noodles.
3. In a mixmaster, add in the cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice, sugar, grated apple, sour cream and eggs.
4. When the noodles are about done, add the milk and some of the melted butter into the mixture.
5. Drain the noodles, make sure there is no water, then put the mixture into the noodles and stir.
6. Put the mixture of noodles into the 9x13 dish (which should still have a layer of butter at the bottom)
7. TOPPING TIME: Smash the 1 1/2 cups of cornflakes with all your might, add 2 tbs of that melted butter, the cinnamon and sugar and mix it all around (use your dang hands) and sprinkle it on top of your noodles.
8. Bake for 45 mins.

I can't say you're really ever going to make this dish unless it's a jewish holiday or you're bored in my grandma's house. BUT if you only use one recipe for a noodle kugel (hear me saying this in the most New York Fran Drescher voice) USE THIS ONE ahhahaha (the voice continues).

No comments:

Post a Comment